Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Happenings in Clarkston, GA


So as you all know, my work / service right now  is focused around the Junior Youth Spiritual Empowerment Program and helping it grow and flourish in the Atlanta area. 
Luckily for me, a lot of my time thus far has been focused in an area called Indian Creek in Clarkston, Ga. This is a small city where thousands of refugees from around the world have been settled. They are leaving their countries where they have experienced situations of poverty, persecution, conflict, etc. Everyday I get to spend time with people from places like Nepal, Burma, Congo, Sudan, etc. who teach me a lot about what it means to be generous, welcoming, hardworking, and hopeful. I am also constantly impressed with many people's ability to express profound and sometimes very personal thoughts and ideas very directly and openly without a sense of self consciousness (and with people that they've known for only a short time) something that seems so different from my own cultural experience in the U.S. 
Right now in this area, there are around 30 youth and young adults who are engaged in study circles and concerned about helping their communities progress materially and spiritually. There are also around 40 to 50 junior youth involved in junior youth groups and concerned with the same goals. All of this is taking place within a 1 mild radius, so I feel like I'm learning a lot about community building in small settings. 

Here's a few pics of the faces I see often...  

p.s. Can't wait to come to Huntsville this weekend! 




2 comments:

  1. Whoa, I just now saw this post!! Very inspiring! Thanks for sharing. Sounds really amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did i miss seeing this post until just now! This is so wonderful! Any updates, Cheryl?

    ReplyDelete